Presentation slides for the ALA eLearning webinar Using the New RDA Toolkit to Catalog Music, presented August 9-11, 2022, have been deposited in the Humanities Commons here: https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:48851/. Full presenter notes are included.
Some of the pending issues mentioned in the slides have been addressed in the most recent Best Practices update in September. A summary of changes is below.
Changes to the MLA Best Practices in the September Toolkit update are minimal, but highlights include the following:
- Guidance: data provenance: MLA recommendations should no longer conflict with general LC-PCC PS instructions
- Manifestation: title of manifestation and Manifestation: title proper: added recommendations for when to include serial enumeration as part of the title proper in 245 $a for distinctive titles, rather than as other title information in $b
- Manifestation: identifier for manifestation: added recommendation to record both 10- and 13-digit ISMNs as ISMNs (024 first indicator 2). Recording 13-digit ISMNs as EANs (024 first indicator 3) is optional
- Numerous element have been updated to refer users to the MLA RDA Metadata Guidance document for guidance on provider-neutral cataloging and electronic resources
The MLA RDA Metadata Guidance document has been updated to version 0.92, with the following additions:
- Minor additions to the section describing parallel aggregates in music
- A new section under Bibliographic Description for format-specific guidance. At present this covers:
- An overview of provider-neutral cataloging
- Guidance for electronic resources, including a dedicated section for electronic scores (prepared with the cataloging subgroup of the Electronic Scores Working Group)
- Placeholder sections for print reproductions and print-on-demand publications to be fleshed out in the future
Note: Although the electronic resource guidelines were written with reference to Official RDA, there should not be anything in them—other than directions to refer to the LC-PCC MGD—that conflicts with Original RDA.
Error reports, comments, or feedback on the Best Practices in the new Toolkit may be submitted here: https://bit.ly/MLA-BP-feedback
Error reports, comments, or feedback on the MLA RDA Metadata Guidance document may be submitted here: https://bit.ly/MLA-RDA-MG-feedback
The next Toolkit update is in mid-December; changes to the Best Practices should be limited to minor fixes.