RESULTS

Vocabularies Annual Report: 2018

Vocabularies Subcommittee (VS) Annual Report, July 1 2017-June 30 2018 Submitted by Rebecca Belford Members (as of March 2018) Rebecca Belford (chair, appointed 2018), Kirk-Evan Billet (2015), Reed David (2015), Jenée Force (2018), Ralph Hartsock (2016), Joshua Henry (2017), Marty Jenkins (2017), Morris Levy (2017), Jeff Lyon (2016), Treshani Perera (2018), Jacob Schaub (2015), Ann Shaffer (2015), Kyle Shockey (2017), Hannah Spence (2015), Jennifer Vaughn (2015), Nancy Lorimer (SACO Music Funnel Coordinator), Mark Scharff (NACO-Music Project Coordinator), Maarja Vigorito (LC Representative), Jay Weitz (OCLC Representative) We thank Casey Mullin, who rotated off as VS chair in February 2018, and other members leaving the subcommittee: Jim Alberts, Nurhak Tuncer, J. Bradford Young. Rebecca Belford rotated off as a member to begin term as chair. We welcome Jenée Force and Treshani Perera, who joined the Vocabularies Subcommittee in March 2018. Report on activities Standing task group: Types of Composition List Maintenance (Levy

Read More »

Encoding Standards: ALA Annual Report 2018

Notes on Meetings at ALA Annual, New Orleans, 2018 with a Focus on MARC and Other Encoding Standards, and Linked Data (Plus a Couple Other Meetings of More General Interest) Submitted July 12, 2018, by Jim Soe Nyun, Chair, Encoding Standards Subcommittee MARC Advisory Committee I Session 1: 6/23/18 Sessions 2-3: 6/24/18 Meeting agenda with links to papers: ​https://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/2018/2018-02.html Announcements of latest fast-track changes: Added $4 to 730 $r redefined in Field 382 (MLA request) Proposal No. 2018-02: Subfield Coding in Field 041 for Accessibility in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format Amended to clarify wording of new subfields $p and $r, passed unanimously Proposal No. 2018-03: Defining New Fields to Record Accessibility Content in the MARC 21 BibliographicFormat Amended to drop $0 and $1 as there was not a direct use case that people could see; added $8 to both fields; revised wording of the field’s scope and for indicator

Read More »

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2018

New Orleans, LA, June 22-25, 2018 Reports from ALCTS CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) Business Meetings SAC Presentation SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies ALCTS CaMMS Faceted Vocabularies Interest Group Cataloging Norms Interest Group ALCTS CaMMS Heads of Cataloging Departments Interest Group OCLC Research Update LITA Top Technology Trends Reported by: Rebecca Belford (Oberlin College), Chair, MLA CMC Vocabularies Subcommittee ALCTS CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) Business Meetings June 24 and 25, 2018 In addition to formal member and liaison updates, the two-part SAC business meeting included a few new business items and updates. The SAC RDA Subcommittee was formally disbanded, based on the announcement by the RDA Steering Committee (RSA) that RDA will not address subjects, as was originally planned. The PCC will revive the practice of having a designated person report from the SACO/PCC at large meeting to SAC. It was decided that the liaison should be from the

Read More »

Content Standards (including CC:DA): ALA Annual Report 2018

New Orleans, LA, June 22-25, 2018 Reports from: OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC)​, OLAC Membership Meeting​, RDA Pre-Conference​, ​RDA Update Forum​ & ​RDA Linked Data Forum ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Reported by: Mary Huismann (St. Olaf College), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) The OLAC CAPC meeting was held on Friday, June 22, 2018. The major part of the meeting was devoted to liaison and task force reports. Only selected highlights have been reported here—see the full CAPC meeting minutes normally published in the September ​OLAC Newsletter: Several changes to the CAPC membership were announced. Jessica Schomberg will become chair following this meeting. CC:DA liaison Kelley McGrath reported on the newly issued RDA Toolkit beta version.She anticipates much work for CAPC because of the great amount of options in the text.Kelley suggested that OLAC take an active

Read More »

Encoding Standards Annual Report: 2018

Encoding Standards Subcommittee (ESS) Annual Report, July 1, 2017-June 30, 2018 Submitted by James Soe Nyun Members (Current appointments) James Soe Nyun (Chair, appointed 2015), Anne D. Adams (2015), Margaret Corby (2016), Matt Ertz (2017), Chelsea Hoover (2018), Nancy Lorimer (2016), Thomas Pease (2015), Karen A. Peters (2015), Felicia Piscitelli (2017), Tomoko Shibuya (2018), Amy Strickland (2018), Kimmy Szeto (2016), Hermine Vermeij (2015); Damian Iseminger (LC Representative); Jay N. Weitz (OCLC Representative) We thank Catherine Busselen, Keith Knop and Mark V. Scharff who rotated off of Encoding Standards Subcommittee in January 2018, and Christopher D. Holden who moved to the position of LC Representative to the Content Standards Subcommittee. We welcome Chelsea Hoover, Tomoko Shibuya and Amy Strickland, who joined the Encoding Standards Subcommittee in February 2018. Report On Activities MARC Field 384, Key, Updated Developed a MARC Fast-Track proposal for the MARC Steering Committee that Field 384, Key, be

Read More »

Vocabularies Subcommittee: MLA Report 2018

MUSIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION CATALOGING AND METADATA COMMITTEE Vocabularies Subcommittee Business Meeting Friday, February 2, 2018, 9:00-9:55am Hilton Portland, Broadway I/II Members present: Casey Mullin (Chair), Rebecca Belford, Kirk-Evan Billet, Reed David, Ralph Hartsock, Morris Levy, Jacob Schaub, Ann Shaffer, Kyle Shockey, Hannah Spence, Jennifer Vaughn, Brad Young, Jay Weitz (OCLC Representative), Nancy Lorimer (SACO Music Funnel Coordinator), Mark Scharff (NACO-Music Project Coordinator) Absent: Jim Alberts, Joshua Henry, Marty Jenkins, Jeff Lyon, Nurhak Tuncer, Maarja Vigorito (LC Representative) Mullin thanked outgoing VS member Brad Young for his service. Rebecca Belford is also rotating off her term as VS member, but will be stepping up as the new VS Chair, beginning a new four-year term. Welcome Rebecca to her new role! VS Chair’s report (Mullin) Mullin alerted the meeting to his ALA liaison report from Annual 2017 (Chicago), available on Google Drive. The report from Midwinter 2018 (Denver) will be available soon,

Read More »

Content Standards Subcommittee: MLA Report 2018

Music Library Association Cataloging and Metadata Committee Content Standards Subcommittee (CSS) Business Meeting Thursday, February 1, 2018 Portland, OR Members present: Mary Huismann (chair), Linda Blair (BIBCO liaison), Kristi Bergland, Ann Churukian, Patty Falk, Monica Figueroa, Chris Holden (LC representative), Kevin Kishimoto, Anna Alfeld LoPrete, Mark Scharff (NACO liaison), Tomoko Shibuya, Michelle Urberg, Jay Weitz (OCLC representative) Member attending remotely: Peter Lisius Members not present: Shelley Rogers, Rick McRae, Jennifer Olson Guests: Bruce Evans, Kathy Glennan, Damian Iseminger Visitors: 15 Welcome & introductions CSS introductions were made around the table The chair gave brief remarks about the background and responsibilities of CSS. Chair’s report Membership Welcome new members (Kristi Bergland, Drew Beisswenger, Monica Figueroa, Michelle Urberg) Drew Beisswenger resigned from CSS Chris Holden is the new LC representative to CSS Thanks to outgoing members (Tomoko Shibuya, LC representatives Michi Hoban, Valerie Weinberg) ALA Liaison reports Annual 2017 (Chicago) (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxo4Xt0aRdn8cmdIZG5McmpaV1E) Reports

Read More »

SAC: ALA Midwinter Report 2018

ALA MIDWINTER CONFERENCE REPORT Denver, CO, February 9-12, 2018 Reports from: ALCTS-CAMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies (SSFV) Faceted Subject Access Interest Group (Selected for interest to MLA) Contents Subject Analysis Committee 1 Presentation: Diane Vizine-Goetz (OCLC Research). “FAST & Wikipedia/Wikidata” 1 Report of the liaison from the Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division (Janis Young) 2 LCSH Treatment of Illegal Aliens (discussion at SAC meeting) 4 Report from the IFLA Liaison 4 Report from the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Liaison 5 SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies 6 Brief progress reports on faceted vocabulary application and development in specialist communities 6 External responses to the SAC white paper “A Brave New (Faceted) World: Towards Full Implementation of Library of Congress Faceted Vocabularies” 8 The role of the Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division (LC PSD) in SSFV’s work on training and

Read More »

MAC and CC:DA: ALA Midwinter Report 2018

Notes from ALA Midwinter Meetings on Meetings Impacting MARC and Other Encoding Standards Submitted by Jim Soe Nyun, Chair, Encoding Standards Subcommittee March 5, 2018 MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) Two sessions: Saturday, February 10 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM / Sunday, February 11 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM Formal agenda: https://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/mw2018_age.html Because of the governmental funding instability around the time of the conference very few staff from the Library of Congress attended ALA. Sally McCallum was the sole person from LC at this meeting. John Zagas, who handles much of preparatory work for the MAC meetings, was not able to attend. Proposal No. 2018-01: Coding 007 Field Positions for Digital Cartographic Materials in the MARC 21 Bibliographic and Holdings Formats (https://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/2018/2018-01.html) ACTION: MAC agreed with the need to provide ways to more clearly describe digital materials in the 007 field for cartographic materials. The techniques outlined in the proposal made

Read More »

CAPC and CC:DA: ALA Midwinter Report 2018

Denver, CO, January 9-12, 2018 Reports from: OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) RDA Pre-conference, RDA Forum & RDA Tech Forum ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Reported by: Mary Huismann (St. Olaf College), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) The meeting began with introductions, adoption of the agenda, and a brief summary of the CAPC open discussion forum held at the OLAC 2017 conference in Richmond, Virginia. The next portion of the meeting was devoted to liaison and task force reports (only selected highlights appear here—see the full CAPC meeting minutes normally published in the March OLAC Newsletter): CC:DA Liaison Kelley McGrath reported on the revised timeline for the new RDA Toolkit rollout and the new governance structure for the RSC. Kathy Glennan has been appointed as the new RSC chair; she will spend this year as chair-elect and

Read More »

Encoding Standards Subcommittee: MLA Report 2018

MUSIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION CATALOGING AND METADATA COMMITTEE Encoding Standards Subcommittee Minutes of the Business Meeting held Thursday, February 1, 2018, 1:30-2:25 p.m. Broadway I/II/III, Hilton Portland Downtown, Portland, OR Submitted March 20, 2018 by Jim Soe Nyun 1) Welcome and introductions: The Chair welcomed the Subcommittee members and observers, and Subcommittee members introduced themselves. 2) Adjustments to agenda: None 3) ESS Chair’s report (Soe Nyun) (5-10 min.) a. ALA Liaison Reports (Annual 2017 on Google drive) i. Annual 2017 (Chicago): The Chair attended ALA Annual to represent MLA at the MARC Advisory Committee and Metadata Interest Group meetings, as well as to report on other meetings with implications for encoding standards and linked data. Time for the Subcommittee business meeting was reduced this year and in the interest of brevity the Chair mainly referred interested parties to access the detailed minutes on the web: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxViFaIR72G1YTVJMHpyTGRyQ00/view?usp=sharing  ii. Upcoming Midwinter 2018 (Denver):

Read More »

Content Standards Annual Report: 2017

Submitted by Mary Huismann Members (as of March 2017) Mary Huismann (Chair, appointed 2016), Drew Beisswenger (2017), Kristi Bergland (2017), Ann Churukian (2016), Patty Falk (2016), Monica Figueroa (2017), Kevin Kishimoto (2016), Peter Lisius (2015), Anna Alfeld LoPrete (2016), Rick McRae (2016), Jennifer Olson (2015), Shelley Rogers (2016), Tomoko Shibuya (2014), Michelle Urberg (2017), Linda Blair (BIBCO Music Funnel Coordinator), Mark Scharff (NACO-Music Project Coordinator), Michi Hoban (LC Representative), Valerie Weinberg (LC Representative), Jay Weitz (OCLC Representative) We thank Sonia Archer-Capuzzo, Christopher Diamond, Bruce Evans, Damian Iseminger, Morris Levy, and Sophie Rondeau, who rotated off of Content Standards Subcommittee in February 2017. We welcome Drew Beisswenger, Kristi Bergland, Monica Figueroa, and Michelle Urberg, who joined the Content  Standards Subcommittee in March 2017. Report On Activities RDA Best Practices for Music CSS continues to maintain the RDA Best Practices (in the RDA Toolkit) and the supplements document (at the CMC website).

Read More »

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2017

ALA ANNUAL CONFERENCE REPORT Chicago, IL, June 22-27, 2017 Reports from: ALCTS-CAMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation (SGFI) Faceted Subject Access Interest Group (Selected for interest to MLA)   Subject Analysis Committee Presentation: Robert Maxwell (Brigham Young University), Adam Schiff (University of Washington). “Subjects in Authority Records: Looking Towards a Linked Data Future” Maxwell and Schiff explored an expanded conception of the function of authority records that describe works (including so-called “name-title records”). Whereas in legacy practice authority records have been intended primarily to record the decision about the form of the authorized access point (or heading) and not much else, FRBR and thence RDA has introduced the idea of creating an entire description of an entity, including expressing relationships to related entities as machine-actionable links. To wit, RDA Chapter 23 and Appendix M, which are recent additions to the content standard, prescribe the expressing of

Read More »

Vocabularies Annual Report: 2017

Submitted by Casey Mullin Members (as of March 2017): Casey Mullin (Chair, appointed 2014), Jim Alberts (2016), Rebecca Belford (2014), Kirk-Evan Billet (2015), Reed David (2015), Ralph Hartsock (2016), Joshua Henry (2017), Marty Jenkins (2017), Morris Levy (2017), Jeff Lyon (2016), Jacob Schaub (2015), Ann Shaffer (2015), Kyle Shockey (2017), Hannah Spence (2015), Nurhak Tuncer (2016), Jennifer Vaughn (2015), J. Bradford Young (2014), Nancy Lorimer (SACO Music Funnel Coordinator), Mark Scharff (NACO Music Project Coordinator), Maarja Vigorito (LC Representative), Jay Weitz (OCLC Representative) We thank Matt Ertz and Janelle West, who rotated off of Vocabularies Subcommittee in February 2017. We welcome Joshua Henry, Marty Jenkins, Morris Levy, and Kyle Shockey, who joined Vocabularies Subcommittee in March 2017. Report on activities: Standing task groups: Types of Composition List Maintenance (West (coordinator through February 2017), Levy (coordinator since March 2017), Belford, Young, Alberts, Henry) The following new and modified terms were vetted

Read More »

Vocabularies Subcommittee: MLA Report 2017

MUSIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION CATALOGING AND METADATA COMMITTEE Vocabularies Subcommittee Business Meeting Friday, February 24, 2017, 1:30-2:55 pm Rosen Plaza Hotel, Orlando (Salon 5) Members present: Casey Mullin (Chair), Rebecca Belford, Kirk-Evan Billet, Reed David, Matt Ertz, Ralph Hartsock, Jeff Lyon, Jacob Schaub, Ann Shaffer, Hannah Spence, Jennifer Vaughn, Janelle West, Brad  Young, Maarja Vigorito (LC Representative), Jay Weitz(OCLC Representative), Nancy Lorimer (SACO Music Funnel Coordinator), Mark Scharff (NACO-Music Project Coordinator) Absent: Jim Alberts, Nurhak Tuncer Visitors present: 34 Mullin thanked outgoing VS members Matt Ertz and Janelle West for their service. VS Chair’s report (Mullin) Mullin alerted the meeting to his ALA liaison reports from Annual 2016 (Orlando) and Midwinter 2017 (Atlanta), both available on Google Drive. Annual 2016: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5MJM6hP4HZFVXM2RXJOSkVNV3c Midwinter 2017: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5MJM6hP4HZFRVNTbV9HUGVocUE The past year’s work continued to utilize a task group system. Reports of particular groups’ activities during the past year are summarized below. Each subcommittee member is

Read More »