CMC Business Meeting Report 2021



Business Meeting, MLA Annual Meeting 2021, Remote

Wednesday, Match 17, 2021, 1:00 p.m.-2:55 p.m., ET

1. Introduction and announcements (Vermeij)          1:00-1:10

  • Hermine Vermeij called the meeting to order and displayed the agenda for everyone to see. She noted that it was the first virtual meeting, which despite lacking the in-person experience that all have come to enjoy, it expands accessibility, a feature that we could take into future meetings.
  • Introductions were made around the table for all of the officers present.
a. Adjustments to agenda, conduct

i. There were no adjustments to the agenda at this time.
ii. Hermine said that the meeting conduct will follow as closely as possible to the meetings held in person. She requested that guests type “???” into chat if they wish to speak or to raise their hands.
iii. Hermine noted that, this year, CMC is having one meeting rather than two, and that she will try her best to make sure that there is a good amount of time for discussion of this year’s conference and planning for next year’s conference.

b. Thanks to outgoing members

i. Although there are no outgoing members, Hermine pointed out that Joshua is completing his last year as Secretary/Webmaster, which means that CMC is taking applications for incoming Secretary/Webmaster, who will then become the Secretary/Webmaster after the 2022 MLA annual meeting. The deadline was extended. Questions about the position can be directed to Joshua or Hermine.

c. Welcome to incoming members

i. Although there are no incoming members, Hermine acknowledged Kirk-Evan Billet officially started as the Music Cataloging Bulletin editor shortly after the 2020 MLA annual meeting.

d. Administrative business

i. Documents (on CMC website)

1. CMC annual reports 2020 on CMC Reports page

2. Liaison reports from summer 2020 (winter 2021 coming soon) on CMC Reports page; update on liaison work

a. Liaison responsibilities have changed quite a bit due to the creation of ALA Core, which condensed previous ALA committees. This past year was also affected by the pandemic, which meant there were no in-person meetings, causing the different committees that we liaise to meet virtually at various times. Hermine said that if there is time at the end of the meeting, we might discuss this topic more in depth, e.g., should full reports be written if the meeting were recorded and open to everyone?

3. CMC roster 2020-2021 (CMC Rosters page updated after MLA)

4. CMC Handbook (includes CMC calendar)

ii. Announce CMC openings and deadline for applications (Thursday 3/18)

1. Hermine announced that there were openings on all of the subcommittees for interested persons. The application does not need to be formal. Applications must be in writing and should state: 1) your specific interest with regards to the subcommittee(s) to which you would like to apply and your order of preference of subcommittees; 2) your cataloging/metadata background; and 3) your abilities to meet CMC service expectations. Applications must be received via email by end of day on the Friday of MLA. The CMC exec will meet on Friday to look at applications, and applicants will be contacted next week. Hermine reminded that applicants must be an MLA member in good standing, have time to commit to duties, have a professional interest in the work of the subcommittees, and be able to complete tasks in a timely manner.

2. Brief reports and highlights          1:10-1:25

  • Hermine reminded everyone that there are many reports linked to the agenda, and those interested in more detail can read the reports at their leisure.
a. Subcommittees

i. Content Standards (Knop)

1. Keith Knop reported that the Content Standards Subcommittee (CSS) carried out their normal duties of responding to requests from ALA’s CC:DA. CSS also spent much time working on reformatting the RDA MLA BPs to function in the new RDA Toolkit. The process has not gone as quickly or as smoothly as desired but work continues. The first test batch of elements is in the Toolkit development preview server. There are some severe technical issues with them, and some vital ALA Publishing employees are currently furloughed, which means they might not appear in the April release of the Toolkit. In the upcoming year, CSS will work on a few projects such as revising Supplement 2 to the RDA MLA BPs to incorporate the PCC guidelines on minimally punctuated MARC and also the standardized ISBD punctuation document, which will be referred to more heavily. Hermine made a call for any question for Keith. There were none at the time.

ii. Encoding Standards (Peters)

1. Karen Peters reported that the Encoding Standards Subcommittee (ESS) gave feedback on MARC proposals and discussion papers and also put forth proposals. The ESS has two task groups, one for maintaining the Music Metadata Resources page on the CMC website and one investigating the MARC inefficiencies in music cataloging. Both task groups put out a survey, analyzed the data, and reported on results at the ESS meeting, where they received good feedback. Karen mentioned that in regards MARC development, the community is quite focused on how to accommodate the new RDA and BIBFRAME to MARC and MARC to BIBFRAME conversions. Hermine asked if Karen would like to discuss the topic of how the 384 field functions and what content it should hold beyond key in Western art music. Karen agreed to discuss that topic later in the meeting if there is time, but she did mention that the topic would probably be addressed outside of ESS in the future. Hermine made a call for any question for Karen. There were none at the time.

iii. Vocabularies (Belford)

1. Rebecca Belford reported that the slides from the CMC Town Hall gave a great summary of the work of the Vocabulary Subcommittee (VS) over the past year. The two biggest projects have been the gendered medium of performance terms and working on adding plural forms of non-preferred terms to the Types list. VS has not met yet, and everyone is welcome to attend the meeting. Rebecca highlighted the new business that will be discussed, which can be found in the agenda linked to the CMC agenda. Hermine made a call for any question for Rebecca. There were none at the time.

b. Pan-CMC work with other groups          1:25-1:40
    • Since the meeting was ahead of schedule and Michelle Urberg had not arrived yet, point (i) was discussed after 2(c)(i).

i. Metadata standards for audio and video: work with NISO (Urberg)

1. Michelle Urberg gave an update on NISO. The group is still continuing to meet. They have gone through use cases and metadata mapping of various different schemas to identify fields that are important to video metadata, particularly streaming video metadata. Now that they have use cases, they plan to discuss how to share metadata. The next step would be to create sub use cases or side use cases, e.g., Vendor A wants to send streaming video metadata to Vendor B, and there are specific factors to take into account when doing so. She believes that there is about six more months of work, which was stalled due to the pandemic. There are workers in the video industry, librarians, archivists, and vendors involved in the group. Hermine made a call for any question for Michelle. There were none at the time.

ii. ISBD revision: work with IFLA ISBD Review Group (Holden)

1. Chris Holden reported that the IFLA ISBD Review Group has been busy updating ISBD over the past year. Chris reminded everyone that ISBD is a standard for description not just punctuation. A revision of the 2011 consolidated ISBD was recently completed, and the draft should be available in the next couple of months. The draft is currently going through committees before opening up to public comment. Chris said that not much has changed for North American music catalogers. There are three major changes, but only the change to instructions for manuscripts and other unpublished documents is relevant to some music catalogers. Although the work of this revision is mostly over, the Manifestation Task Force is still working on aligning ISBD with the manifestation entity in the Library Reference Model (LRM). Chris said that their work will hopefully be done by the IFLA 2021 conference, and will likely be a bigger change for European libraries since there is talk of using the IFLA element set in their application of the new RDA. Hermine made a call for any question for Chris. There were none at the time.

iii. SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies (Mullin)

1. Casey Mullin reported that SSFV released version 0.9 of the Best Practices for Recording Chronological Data in Bibliographic Records, which instructs on how to record dates of creation of works in either the 046 field or the 388 field, for either coded dates or textual dates respectively. Since the release, SSFV has received much feedback including quite a bit from the music cataloging community, which Casey is grateful for. They are in the process of getting version 1.0 approved. This version is mostly changing the instructions for clarification, most notably for how to describe dates for collection aggregates as opposed to augmentation or parallel aggregates as defined in LRM. This version also describes how to approach using chronological subdivisions in subject headings and the existence of $8 although most systems cannot support it. SSFV aslo put forth a proposal to the MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) to change the 046 field to distinguish between work dates and expression dates. MAC approved the proposal and added an indicator to distinguish between works and expressions, which will not be reflected in version 1.0. Hermine made a call for any question for Casey. There were none at the time.

c. Working group          1:40-1:45

i. MLA Linked Data Working Group (Kishimoto)

1. Kevin Kishimoto gave an update on LDWG. Kevin took over as chair after the 2020 MLA annual meeting. Due to the Pandemic, LDWG was not able to work for about six months. In the Fall, Kevin came up with a plan to achieve LDWG’s goal to run a test of Performed Music Ontology (PMO) on Sinopia (a linked data editor developed through the Linked Data for Production grant at Stanford) within the next year. Sinopia is now usable, which shows progress although it still takes a lot of work. Creating profiles and templates for each resource is the bulk of work. Kevin held meetings in the fall and winter with Nancy Lorimer and Jim Soe Nyun, both of whom have been involved with the creation of PMO. They decided that some changes to PMO were needed in order to function better to align with changes in BIBFRAME since the creation of PMO. Kevin is hoping to finish changes in the next couple of months at which time the working group will convene to do music cataloging in Sinopia and analyze the results. Joshua Henry asked if Kevin could give any specifics of what needs to change in PMO. Kevin said that many elements created for PMO had become redundant after RDA vocabularies had been added to the RDA Registry. Jean asked if the Sinopia profiles and templates will be reusable or if every institution has to create their own. Kevin said that they are sharable and changeable within Sinopia. Thomas Pease mentioned that a version of PMO for medium of performance (MOP) is being used in BIBFRAME, but it is not fully functioning. Hermine had the same thought for MOP in the PMO, adding that it was the most complex aspect of PMO. Kevin said that it is meant for performed music, meaning it is created to match MOP to a specific performer. Kevin said that they are trying to find a balance between the complexity of the ontology and the exactness of the metadata. Kevin did say that they have been able to make piano, 4 hands performances work properly. Damian said that the Music Division and the Recorded Sound Section (MRBS) at LC have held meetings with BIBFRAME developers to work on MOP. They want to see if PMO can be implemented in BIBFRAME. Damian mentioned that they hope to be able to speak to the complexity of MOP, and whether it is too complex in PMO. Hermine suggested coming to a conclusion about the minimum needed with the option for adding more. Damian mentioned that German libraries simply describe the MOP of a performance rather than tie it to individual performers. Kevin said that they are trying to capture what a work was originally composed for, what an expression was arranged for, and what a performance actually utilizes. Kevin commented on being able to make PMO as complex as we want, but we have to keep in mind how much time metadata producers will have to commit to describing something. Sinopia developers are also working on BIBFRAME-to-MARC conversion, which is at the beta stages, in effort to make the metadata sharable. Ethan asked if there is going to be a broadening of opportunities to participate with Sinopia at Stanford. Kevin said that those interested can look at Sinopia, and can request to get a login. He also mentioned that PCC has released training slides. Kevin said that he is willing to talk to anyone interested in participating. In closing, Kevin mentioned the ShareVDE project in Italy. They are converting bibliographic and authority records into linked data. The data is not open to the public but open to those participating in Sinopia. Kevin suggested that the idea behind it is to create a linked data variant of OCLC.

d. Additional reports          1:45-2:05

i. NACO-Music Project (Scharff)

1. Mark Scharff reported that Keith Knopp replaced Tracey Snyder as the CMC representative, and Mark thanked Tracey for her work. Five new personal and two institutional members were added. Mark is still in discussions about being chair. The statistics were a wash, meaning there were far fewer newer records but many changes to existing records. Mark suggested that the NACO-Music Project might want to discuss possible documentation changes, particularly fleshing out DCM Z1. Mark acknowledged Casey Mullin’s work and Mary Huismann’s work as chair. Mark made a call for any question. There were none at the time.

ii. SACO Music Funnel (B. Iseminger)

1. Beth Iseminger gave highlights from her report. Nine terms were approved that were submitted through the funnel. There are thirteen new terms in the proposal process and 25 proposals for changes to existing terms. A major project over the past year focused on the gendered medium of performance terms in LCGFT, which resulted in reorganizing the terms by vocal range rather than by gender, and the addition of four new terms and sixteen revised terms. Hermine made a call for any question for Beth. There were none at the time.

iii. BIBCO Music Funnel (Mullin)

1. Casey Mullin mentioned that despite the release of the new official RDA Toolkit, implementation is likely far off for BIBCO catalogers. Casey hopes to have more to report on that topic at next year’s meeting. In the meantime, decisions need to be made and documentation created (by both PCC and MLA), all of which Casey will track closely. Casey made a call for new members, emphasizing that experienced music catalogers are definitely qualified to join BIBCO; usually the only hurdle is needing to be NACO independent for both names and name-titles. In regards to statistics, Casey pointed out that authenticating existing records is just as useful as creating new records, especially as we move into a linked data environment. Casey encouraged everyone to become familiar with 5.2.3 Editing capabilities for PCC records of OCLC’s Bibliographic Formats and Standards in order to maintain PCC records. Casey made a call for any questions. There were none at the time.

iv. CMC Secretary/Webmaster (Henry)

1. Joshua Henry reported that last year’s CMC meeting minutes were posted in April of 2020 to the CMC website. Throughout the year he posted other reports. Due to the pandemic, he was unable to convert many of the existing reports from PDF to HTML or address accessibility concerns for the website. He hopes to address those this year, especially if someone is appointed to Incoming Secretary/Webmaster who will be able to help with those tasks. Joshua pointed out that he is aware of the warning messages that appear at the top of the Types page, which does not affect the functionality, and he is hoping that an update to WordPress will resolve that issue. Hermine asked if there was a timeline on migrating to new servers. Josh believes that the Web Committee hopes to complete that task over the summer of 2021. This migration will hopefully make it to where we do not experience a site wide shut down like we did in November of 2020. Hermine made a call for any questions for Joshua. There were none at the time.

v. Music Cataloging Bulletin (Billet)

1. Kirk-Evan Billet thanked his predecessor, Chris Holden, for helping with certain aspects of the first few issues of MCB in 2020. Kirk-Evan updated the HTML to address accessibility issues. Kirk-Evan said that he is always open to suggestions. Hermine made a call for any questions for Kirk-Evan. There were none at the time.

vi. Library of Congress (Vita/D. Iseminger)

1. Damian Iseminger highlighted work done at LC. Starting with the Music Division, he first acknowledged that the pandemic greatly affected FY2020. The Concert Office created a series of free virtual programs, which was a huge feat. The Henry Mancini collection has been fully processed and a finding aid created, which was also a major task since they initially underestimated the number of items in the collection. The RISM team has documented around 3,200 manuscripts and early imprints. The work will officially be reported to RISM once LC employees return to site to verify what was cataloged. The number of “from old catalog” headings has greatly decreased thanks to the project to convert them to align with RDA and provide authority records for the bibliographic records. This project has made progress since it can be done remotely, which LC catalogers had to pivot to due the pandemic. For the Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, the management system MAVIS is being replaced. The contract has been awarded, and the tool is being developed. The division has acquired and cataloged more born digital materials. The American Archive of Public Broadcasting partnered with WGBH to preserve over 26,000 collection items. A new version of the National Jukebox has soft launched but is not publicly available yet. Damian let Thom make further announcements about the Recorded Sound Section. Thom said that employees with telework computers could continue work at the beginning of the pandemic but employees who did not have telework computers were put on different projects such as the By the People project or editing transcripts for the American Archive of Public Broadcasting. Once all employees received computers, they focused their efforts on cataloging compact discs, including continuing to contribute BIBFRAME cataloging. Archivists have worked creating many finding aids. The section has contributed to the work on Axiell (MAVIS replacement). Damian said that the Music Division is also contributing to BIBFRAME, and he is contributing to LC-PCC-PSs for the new RDA Toolkit. Jean Harden asked if BIBFRAME is handling aggregates well now. Damian said not really, but they continue to work on resolving the issue soon. Kevin Kishimoto asked if the Recorded Sound Section was involved in Citizen DJ, to which Thom answered that the Recording Sound Processing Unit staff were not.

vii. OCLC (Weitz)

1. Jay Weitz reported that OCLC released a MARC validation installation on February 25, which took into account MARC updates from December 2020. They expect for the next MARC validation to be in April, which should include three sets of MARC codes from February and March among other things. The Member Merge Program is ongoing, and Jay encouraged others to join the program by sending a request to Since the beginning of the program about 7 years ago, close to 80,000 records have been merged by participants in the program. Connexion Client 3.0, which will be Windows based only and is coming out in July/August 2021. This will mostly be a technical update. Hermine asked if there is still no end of life for Connexion Client. Jay said that there is no end of life. Casey Mullin said that he hoped that the new update will mean fewer glitches, macros freezing, and overall faster performance to which Jay agreed. Mark Scharff asked if there are quotas for being in the Member Merge Program. Jay said that there are no quotas, but one has to take into consideration if it is worth their time after going through the training. Sue Weiland asked if GLIMIR was going away. Jay said that it is but that its functionality is being covered elsewhere. Hermine made a call for any questions for Jay. There were none at the time.

3. MLA 2021 program—reactions to content, meeting times, etc.          2:05-2:15

a. Online format–what worked, what didn’t work? What would we want to continue even in-person?

i. Hermine acknowledged that this conference has been vastly different than any other previous conferences due to the pandemic. CMC sponsored three sessions: the CMC Town Hall, Provider-Neutral Cataloging for Digital Scores, and Meeting the Need for Metadata Accessibility and Usability. Hermine opened the floor to comments about what did and did not work about the virtual aspects of the conference and what aspects could carry over to in-person or hybrid meetings. Kathy Glennan said that she thought the accessibility presentation worked “better” virtually and Damian agreed. Tomoko Shibuya said that the availability of presentation slides beforehand was very helpful and Allison McClanahan agreed. Mark said we should consider and take advantage of what can be done outside the conference sessions. He also mentioned that many are still trying to figure out how to ask questions or comment during sessions and that the technology or absence of in-person interactions is inhibiting some communication. Ethan D’Ver agreed with Mark’s sentiments. Rebecca echoed Kathy’s comment about the accessibility presentation being best as a virtual presentation, particularly the demo of the Dragon speech recognition software. Hermine agreed and further suggested that using a hotel’s wifi for the demo for an in-person meeting probably would have been difficult. Ann Churukian, who gave the demo, said that she would have pre-recorded her demo if the meeting was in-person. Mark said that it was beneficial to show slides at funnel meetings, something which has not been possible for the past few conferences, and Beth and Kathy agreed. Damian said that he did not like only being able to see the speaker for the plenary sessions, and he requested that in the future, all attendees should be visible for full interaction, because he found himself easily distracted with notifications and emails on his desktop during the plenaries. Chuck Peters said that he liked that there were less scheduling conflicts compared to in-person meetings, but that it resulted in too many weeks of meetings. Many agreed with Chuck. Hermine also agreed, pointing out not being able to ask off from work for several weeks, but an all virtual conference might not be able to work around this issue considering the different time zones of members. Rebecca said she loved being able to go to presentations rather than mostly meetings. Hermine wondered if CMC could request that meetings be held on a different week from the conference, and Rebecca thinks that ALA is going in that direction with their conferences. Keith pointed out that the chairs of the different committees of ALA Core hosted the Zoom meetings through their institutions rather than through ALA, which was beneficial in some respects. Rebecca did point out that we would have to be careful about taking that approach since conference registristration could not be tied to the meetings. Mark said that it is more difficult cultivating interest in the work of CMC, especially newer members. He suggested possibly having breakout rooms for that matter. Damian said we will need to heavily consider that virtual meetings or virtual offerings will become a norm, especially considering that institutions will likely cut travel budgets. Damian believes that it is an equity issue and that requiring in person attendance might not be possible. Hermine agrees with this sentiment, and she has actually pondered about the viability of the in-person requirement. Damian suggested the possibility of alternating in-person and virtual meetings, which would need to be decided by MLA. Rebecca pointed out that MLA has officially gotten rid of that requirement. Many people in the chat discussed the accessibility value of virtual meeting, because it allows for more participation while others pointed out that fully virtual takes away from fully connecting (in other words, there would need to be a balance to address the pros and cons of online offerings). It was suggested that Remo or Gather could be used to help with giving a more social interaction to online offerings. Damian thinks that 2022 content should be capable of being offered online or converted for online easily. Hermine mentioned hybrid meetings can be more difficult than fully remote since the program planners have to accommodate both physical and virtual aspects.

b. Please complete MLA survey when prompted.

4. MLA 2022 program—bring ideas for topics, speakers, etc.          2:15-2:30

a. A follow-up to the 2020 joint session with public services/instruction/reference folks?

i. Ethan said that he thought that would be a great idea. Mark asked who was the impetus for the 2020 joint session. Tracey said that she approached public service librarians and they indicated that they had been wanting to collaborate with technical service librarians. Tracey said she got the idea from Allison, whose institution regularly holds meetings between public service and technical service librarians. Kathy suggested that the session could discuss how to positively influence system vendors. Janice Bunker said that the Technical Services Interest Group is drafting a proposal for a similar session. Hermine agreed that was a good idea and that if it was held virtually, it could make getting vendor participation easier. Rebecca would love to have vendors and thinks there are hot topics that could be pursued such as whether public service librarians teach about using collective conventional titles. Hermine mentioned that MDR2 is a great document but that it is lengthy; a condensed version of MDR2 could be a product of such a session. Chuck that all of the systems interest groups are working together to reassess MDR2. Tracey asked if the public service groups know about this work. Chuck said he thought that the systems interest groups could work with the public service groups as long as it is manageable. Rebecca said we could get systems librarians from our institutions to attend if the session is going to be virtual. Jennifer Olson mentioned that if we have a similar session to the joint one in 2020, there should be an option for “other” when grouping people together by ILS, since some people do not use the typical ILSs.

b. Some kind of informal collaborative cataloging demo/working session? LD4P3 and/or LD4 Community?

i. Hermine mentioned that presenters and attendees of the Provider-Neutral Cataloging for Digital Scores session hoped for something more collaborative and hands-on. So, Hermince wanted to know if others were interested in having a similar session for 2022 but in person. Hermine asked if there were any other ideas for sessions. Damian suggested a session that was a thought experiment focusing on what we could do if we were unencumbered by legacy data, essentially a pie in the sky discussion. Hermine wondered how a session like that would work at a conference. Rebecca suggested that it could be an event outside of the conference, and Thom suggested having a summit. Many people agreed that this would be a great idea. Hermine asked if everyone wanted to present this as a session for MLA 2022 or have a summit. Damian asked if MLA’s subscription to Zoom is ongoing after this year’s conference and if it would allow for something of this nature. Rebecca and Hermine pointed out that MLA’s or a member’s institutional subscription could be used. Brad Young suggested that holding it over the summer could then lead to a plenary session. Hermine pointed out that the plenary proposals are submitted at the beginning of the summer. Damian suggested that it could be a Zoom preconference. Many people agreed with this idea.

c. Town Hall special topics? RDA, BIBFRAME, etc.

i. Hermine asked if a pre conference on new RDA would be possible for MLA 2022. Damian said that some documentation might be available for a meaningful discussion. Kathy agreed. Keith thinks that the MLA BPs for manifestation elements should be available by July 2021, but work and expression elements are likely to take much longer. Kathy asked if it should be hands on, and Hermine said that hands-on is probably the only viable option for people to stay engaged. Janice said that Robert Maxwell works at her Brigham Young University, and he has recently done a workshop with the new RDA. Robert could come in person especially at MLA 2022, since it is in Salt Lake City. Mark asked if there was an interest in a deep dive session on new concepts in new RDA. Many agreed that this could be a good session, and Kathy said that she could do a workshop or presentation on that topic at any time. Casey pointed out that there would be two different audiences on this topic; existing catalogers that need to wrap their brain around the new vocabulary and environment of RDA and then new catalogers. Hermine agreed, and thought that a preconference for practical cataloging everyday materials is good for a combination of both audiences but a deep dive is better for more experienced catalogers. Damian mentioned needing to continue addressing DEI. Others agreed. Thom suggested discussing further the implications of minimal punctuation and accessibility. Keith agreed that this is important, because the PCC guidelines about minimal punctuation assumes that our systems will be able to display the metadata nicely for everyone. Damian pointed out that it might also be good to broaden that topic to discuss whether our cataloging tools are set up for accessibility. Brad suggested discussing DEI in the LCDGT, and Beth followed up, mentioning the work of Kirk-Evan on trying to decenter whiteness in LCDGT. Kathy suggested discussing overall issues with personal identifying information (PII) in authority records & Wikidata entities, and Damian agreed this would be a good topic since LC has had many inquiries on the subject. Hermine summarized the topics suggested and pointed out the wide range of them. Damian suggested having a broad session about the equity issues in the tools that we use. Joshua likes the idea of discussing LCDGT since the manual is frozen while LC discusses how to ethically use LCDGT. He suggested that MLA could put together a statement to give to LC about how LCDGT could be used ethically for music cataloging. Beth liked the idea and suggested demonstrating what music catalogers are doing in each area, i.e., PII and LCDGT. Casey suggested that it might be time to look at alternatives to LCDGT, something that SSFV is discussing.

5. Training/information needs          2:30-2:40

a. Webinars?

i. Hermine asked if this calendar year is finally a good year for RDA for music webinars or if it would be better for next year. Kathy suggested waiting until after the new MLA BPs and LC-PCC-PSs are released. Damian pointed out that the current BPs and PSs will be available in the new Toolkit in April. Damian worries that this burden would fall on a small group of individuals who are familiar with the new RDA Toolkit. Mark suggested a “Reader’s Digest” of RDA concepts such as aggregates. Damian wondered if that would be possible considering the complexity of aggregates. Joshua pointed out that the RDA YouTube channel has already released short videos on RDA concepts, and Damian also mentioned the RDA Lab Series, although it is cost prohibitive. Hermine said that it sounds like this year is not the year, and Keith agreed. Damian suggested a session on cataloging conundrums, especially if unencumbered with past practice.

6. Pan-CMC ideas, overflow time, wrap-up          2:40-2:55

a. Additional topics coming out of ALA or PCC? Subcommittees?

i. Since time was running out, Hermine asked if Karen did not mind discussing the issue with key in the 384 field later in an email chain or the wiki. Karen said that was no problem, especially since the issue is now outside the purview of ESS.

ii. Hermine asked if there were any other topics to discuss. For budgetary concerns, Hermine asked if any of the officers who do liaison work have an update on how ALA Core will function in the next year. Rebecca said that nothing is figured out for SAC, and that ALA Core is only doing ALA annual rather than annual and midwinter. Hermine mentioned the ALA Core events that have started and wondered if they need the same liaison work as conferences. Hermine said that liaison budgeting will have to be dealt with at a later time.

iii. Hermine thanked everyone and adjourned the meeting.